Deep tissue massages are arguably the most popular massage treatment for people of all ages. Applying pressure and slow strokes to relieve and stretch deep layers of muscle and the fascia in the body. Breaking up the scar tissue in the skin and reducing muscle tension, deep tissue massages effectively promote the body’s healing and promotes regular blood flow by reducing inflammation.
Learn more about deep tissue massage therapy including its benefits, how the treatment works and if there are any side effects below.
Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage
A deep tissue massage actually produces physical and mental health benefits. Focusing on promoting relaxation and relieving tension, deep tissue massages treat chronic pain and reduce stiffness. The following are additional benefits and symptoms this massage can treat include:
- Lower back pain
- Sports-related injury
- Limited mobility
- Muscle tension in the upper back area
- Pain in the upper neck area
- Tennis elbow
What To Expect During Massage
Although techniques may differentiate based on the RMT treating you, the goal is the same. Breaking up the knots in your back that are disrupting proper blood circulation and causing inflammation in your body, a deep tissue massage will begin with light pressure on the target areas. Following the light pressure, certain techniques are applied and firmer pressure is used in the areas. These techniques include:
- Stripping: The RMT may use a deep, gliding pressure technique applied along the muscle fibres using their elbow, forearm, knuckles and thumbs.
- Friction: The RMT applies pressure across the muscle grain in order to release adhesions and align the tissue fibres.
The massage therapist may ask you to breathe in and out slowly and deeply while they are performing the massage.
Side Effects From Deep Tissue Massage
It isn’t completely unusual to have uncomfortable soreness following a deep tissue treatment. This can be easily treated using a heating pad on the sore areas or a cold pack wrapped in a towel. Massage therapy treatments are safe, however, some may be more sensitive to the firm pressure than others. If you have any of the following conditions, it’s important to consult with your doctor prior to booking a deep tissue massage:
- A history of blood clots or have a blood clotting disorder
- Are taking a type of blood thinner
- Have had a bleeding disorder
- Have cancer and/or are undergoing chemotherapy, radiation or other forms of cancer treatment
- If you are pregnant, do not have a deep tissue massage
- Have osteoporosis that may spread to the bones making them fragile and susceptible to fracturing
Pro Fusion Rehab is a massage clinic located in Milton and physiotherapy service in Pickering specializing in a variety of services to treat and heal our patients. Our RMTs and physiotherapists are committed to providing each patient we treat with exceptional, customized care to ensure their wellness is improved. Book an appointment for one of our services at either our Pickering or Milton location today at our online booking page.