Common symptoms of spinal cord injury:
Spinal cord injury happens when there is any injury to the spinal cord that blocks communication between the brain and the body. After a spinal cord injury, a person’s sensation, movement and reflexes are affected. Depending on the level of injury, symptoms may vary from pain to paralysis or more complex symptoms. Injuries are referred to as complete or incomplete, based on the return of function or a permanent loss of sensation, movement or function.
- Loss of sensation, numbness, tingling sensation.
- Loss of movement and function.
- Muscle weakness.
- Bowel and bladder Incontinence.
- Exaggerated reflexes.
- Excruciating pain.
Common casuses of spinal cord injury:
- Sports injuries.
- Gunshot wounds.
- Penetrating injuries.
- Motor vehicular accidents.
- Diving accidents.
- Arthritis of the spine.
- Failed surgeries of the back.
How can physiotherapy and rehabilitation help spinal cord injury?
Physiotherapists will perform a thorough assessment of musculoskeletal and neurological aspects and formulate an appropriate treatment plan consisting of:
- Pain control.
- Range of Motion Exercises.
- Stretching Exercises.
- Strengthening Exercises.
- Balance and Coordination Exercises.
- Prevention of secondary complications such as atrophy, muscle tightness, contractures and respiratory complications due to immobilization.
At Profusion Rehab, our goal is to help you live your life pain-free. Our treatments are designed to help you regain independence in activities of daily living and maximize your functional potential depending on the level of injury.