What is Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy?
Extracorporeal ShockWave Therapy, (or ESWT), is a new technology that uses shockwaves to treat chronic, painful conditions of the musculoskeletal system. A shockwave is an intense, but very short energy wave traveling faster than the speed of sound. Extra-corporeal means outside the body and refers to the fact that the shockwaves are generated outside the body.
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) is not used to disintegrate tissues but rather causes a microscopic extracellular biological effects which includes tissue regeneration. The science behind the use of ESWT uses shockwaves to break up kidney stones without surgery. The type of shockwave therapy we use is specialized to specifically help treat musculoskeletal conditions particularly major connective tissues attached to the bone.
Conditions that benefits from Shockwave Therapy
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Tennis elbow/Golfer’s elbow
- Hip/knee tendinitis
- Jumper’s knee
- Achilles tendinitis
- Calcific Tendinitis
- Connective tissue pain and degeneration
- Muscle pain and injuries
- Joint injuries
- Morton’s neuroma
- Stress Fractures
- Avascular Necrosis (dead portion of a bone)
- Delayed union of bone after fracture
- Non-healing bone fracture
When is Shockwave Therapy indicated
Shock Wave Therapy is generally considered when the following criteria are met:
- When patient has a diagnosis that is considered to be responsive to Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy.
- When simpler and less expensive treatment alternatives have failed or aren’t appropriate for some reason.
- When surgery or other more invasive treatments are alternatives.
- When the patient fully understands the procedure.
- When there are no known contraindications to the procedure.
It’s impossible to get through this life without feeling any stress, but when stress becomes an overwhelming and regular part...
It is challenging enough to be a defensive driver without the distractions that lead to increased risk of a motor...
As back to school time approaches, parents across the country are preparing their kids for class. They shop for new...